Total Pageviews

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Don't get rid of that old boat!

     Have you checked on the cost of a new boat within the last six months? Well, you may be in for a big shock, I mean sticker shock. Don't spend your hard earned money on a boat that will sit in storage for most of the year. I suggest you take a second look at the old boat that no one wants. I am restoring my old 1975 Grady White and I invite you to join me in the adventures of bring back to life this classic and beautiful boat. Of course, there are some important issues to consider in restoring an older boat which include condition of hull, transom condition, condition of engine, and any cracks or holes in vessel. Don't lose hope because each of the items I have mentioned can be repaired and return your boat to seaworthy condition.
     The first step in restoration is what  I call the strip down, or getting the boat to a base point and checking for any problem areas. Take up old carpet, rotten wood, or broken items. It is very important to take your time in the strip process to make sure you get to a beginning point which marks your restoring project. It is also important to keep certain items as a template in replacing rotten or broken items in the boat. So get out there and take an inventory of what your boat needs and get started restoring your old boat! In my next post I will show pictures of my restore of my Grady white. thanks 

No comments:

Post a Comment