Total Pageviews

Saturday, May 28, 2011

How to restore old fiberglass boat.


Shine will come back

degreaser and scrubber
     Many times an older boats, especially a fiberglass boat will need work on the fiberglass to bring it's shine and good looks back. The first step in this process is to give your boat a good inspection. Check for cracks, holes, scratches, and for any marine growth on the hull.  Once you have made a list of what needs to be done, it is time for a good cleaning. I recommend using a good degreaser and boat wash. I like krud Kutter as a degreaser because it takes all the mildew and wax off fast. First, spray down one side of the boat with water and then apply the degreaser. Once your have sprayed one side of the boat use your scrubber pad as shown in picture and begin to scrub the boat hull. You may need to repeat this process depending on the hulls condition. On my Grady White which was used in salt water I had to wash it three times just to get the mildew and marine growth off the side. With three washes the gel goat was still in good condition. As you can see in the pictures it did a great job.
     Once you have cleaned the boat use a good marine compound to get the fiberglass to a new shine. Compounding will also take off any stains on the hull as well. There are several good products that I use to compound my boat, if you want to know what they are let me know and I will email the names.The last step in restoring the fiberglass is a good wax job. Make sure you use a good high quality marine wax, it will pay for itself in the shine and protection it provides. I prefer to use a high speed electric buffer using a pad to put  wax on and one to take it off. This step will take some hard work but it will pay off with a great looking fiberglass shine. Sometimes I also use a product called poly glow which give a high gloss shine with half the work. Well, if you follow these steps you will have a great looking fiberglass boat, and others will notice the shine and give you comments on your boat. Remember just a little work will keep your boat looking great and save you thousands because you can still use your old boat. If you would like any information concerning cleaning fiberglass please email me, also please follow my posts. thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment