Total Pageviews

Friday, June 03, 2011

How to repair rotten deck in Fiberglass boat


Both sides rotten

see fuel tank

     In my last post regarding replacing the deck in my '75 Grady White I was thinking I would simply replace a small section. But after checking the underside of the wood I discovered a great deal of  rotten wood. With old boats you will often find that the wood will have to be replaced because the wood was not treated or protected from water damage. If you will look at the pictures you will notice how wet and rotten the wood for the deck is. I am in the process of pulling it all up and will replacing it with fresh plywood. As I replace all the bad wood, I plan on covering it with a good deck coating. Deck coating is similar to what truck owners put on their truck bed. Before I apply the deck coating I plan on making sure all the wood joint are smooth and filling all the cracks with wood putty. I will also use screws to hold the decking in place. I will also make sure that everything is dry and sealed up to prevent water from getting back under the plywood. This project will take about two weeks because I will be busy at work this week. Sign up for my blog so you can keep up with this project and will be able to see the finished result. Thanks
will replace with plywood


4 comments:

  1. Very good points you wrote here..Great stuff...I think you've made some truly interesting points.Keep up the good work.
    screen-solutions.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's fitting time to make a few arrangements for the future and the time has come to be glad. I have perused this post and in the event that I might I be able to wish to recommend you few fascinating things or counsel. Maybe you could compose next articles alluding to this article. I yearning to peruse considerably more things about it! Screened rooms

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am doing the same to my 89 Lakeland fishing boat,I got a little left to tear out,then the rebuild starts. I'm a bit nervous cuz I've never done it before but I'm reading as much as I can about it. How do I get on ur blog to follow ur progress.

    ReplyDelete